August has come and gone–a busy month, all things considered, but filled with interesting doings here at True Classics:
- TCM’s annual Summer Under the Stars event is over, as is the SUTS blogathon co-hosted by our friends Michael at ScribeHard on Film and Jill from Sittin’ on a Backyard Fence. Thirty-one days of stars, with contributions from some of the best classic film blogs on the web … we’d definitely call this one a success, thanks to the hard work and dedication of this dynamic duo, and we congratulate them on a great event!
- The Gene Kelly Centennial Blogathon hosted by the Classic Movie Blog Association was a roaring success, per usual for a CMBA-sponsored event, with some wonderful contributions honoring the indomitable Mr. Kelly. For a complete list of all of the contributors and their pieces, check out Kim Wilson’s comprehensive list on 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.
- Brandie recently became a contributor to the great film site Cinema Sentries. After throwing her two cents into the regular feature “Snob Seven” in July, she published her first DVD review and film review on the site in August. More reviews are forthcoming, so keep an eye on the @trueclassics Twitter feed and our Facebook page for links when those are published.
While August was a lovely month here on the blog, September has even MORE fun things in store:
- The Comedy Countdown at Wonders in the Dark is in full swing, and Brandie will finally have her say about two of her favorites in a couple of contributions later this month. The countdown continues through December, so make sure to check out the newest posts each weekday and join the always-lively discussions in the comments!
- There’s a pair of blogathons in which we will be participating this month. First off is the What a Character! Blogathon, co-hosted by Kellee of Outspoken and Freckled; Aurora of Once Upon a Screen; and Paula’s Cinema Club. This event will celebrate the sometimes underrated, unsung character actors who populate some of the most memorable films in Hollywood history. Brandie will be writing a piece about one of our favorite supporting stars, the hilarious Mary Wickes.
- And the Paramount Centennial Blogathon, hosted by Angela of The Hollywood Revue, kicks off September 27th. This event, designed to celebrate one hundred years of cinematic splendor from the Paramount Studios, will feature posts spanning films both old and new. We haven’t set upon a topic for this one yet (it’s ONE HUNDRED YEARS of movies, y’all!), but we are definitely looking forward to what will be a fantastic celebration.
- The nomination period for the annual CiMBA Awards from the Classic Movie Blog Association kicks off today. Some recent rule changes limiting the number of self-nominations per blog promises that this year’s contest will be varied and the competition will be fierce! The CiMBAs have become a great way to recognize the best that CMBA has to offer every year, and this time around will be no exception. Good luck to all members!
In addition to these events, we’ll be returning to our regular posting schedule this month, with the return of Saturday Morning Cartoons and our other recurring features and film reviews. It’s going to be a great month, and we hope you’ll stick around and enjoy it along with us!
Last but most certainly not least … the newest member of our crew, Sarah, has announced that she is expecting a future classic film fanatic of her own! We could not be more thrilled for Sarah and her wonderful husband, Tim. Congratulations and much love to your sweet family!